Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:46:07 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        marcs@znep.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

> > This does not seem to be logical. I can use "what ever name".est.is in
> > my domain for my network 194.144.208."what ever" but I must not be
> > allowed to register "what ever other name".est.is to address/network
> > that I have not got from INTERNIC/RIPE.
>
> Of course it is logical.  How do you propose to magically detect if
> someone is using an address they shouldn't?  You don't gain anything from
> doing it because you can't actually use that IP for anything.

Well, you could for instance check (in the case of name servers) that
the name servers are actually configured for the domain it is claimed
they serve. Some TLDs registration authorities do this actively, for
instance .no (Norway) - a domain *will not* be registered unless the
name servers answer authoritatively. (Doesn't prevent the name servers
from going non-authoritative later, of course - but it sure weeds out
a lot of ISP wannabees.)

> > We have virtual domains here and they have logical reason, but not
> > someone using reseved (assigned) address is not ethical.
>
> Ethics have nothing to do with it.

Yes and no. We've had people registering a .com domain with InterNIC and
*later* asking for name service for this domain. To my mind this is only
fair if you ask in advance.

But this no longer has anything to do with FreeBSD, so let's take it to
private email if anybody wants to continue the discussion.