Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 07:26:15 -0600
From:      ptroot@uswest.com ("Paul T. Root")
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and a 286?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Hi there, I have a DEC 286 VaxMate computer, is there any way that I can run
> > FreeBSD unix on it? If not, can you suggest a flavor of UNIX that will run on
> > the 286?
>
> Microport (uPort) SVR2.x -- the last release that didn't require real
> memory management.
>
> Altos 586/786 Xenix (probably won't run on standard hardware)
>
> Microsoft Xenix 286 (not nearly as good as SCO)
>
> SCO Xenix 286 (requires activation keys galore)
>
> Coherent (if you can find it -- lower quality than the others).
>
> Minix (you might find an older copy of the Tannenbaum book with a disk)
>
> You will need to buy them used and/or from an overstock/outdated
> warehouse.  SCO is the only one that supports networking of any
> kind; it's not enough to do standard X, since the select() function
> is missing from most old Xenix drivers... besides, X is too large for
> a 286.

I have (or had) Minix 1.5 disks, that I'm not going to use. I won't
let go of the book however. It was kinda fun to play with, but not that
much you can do. It's not going to compile the current apps. But it
is pretty good for learning kernel internals.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

"God willing... we shall return."
				-Gene Cernan, the Moon, Dec 1972