Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        ctassell@isn.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting Out

Charles Tassell writes:

>   I'm just starting out on setting up a provider using FreeBSD and would like
> some "specifics" on what I need in the line of hardware.
>
>   What I mean by specifics are what network interfaces, do I need a seperate
> machine for a router, what brand of multi-port serial card will work best with
> FreeBSD and support around 10 modems (or what would be a better alternative to
> a multi-port serial card)  A pointer to a FAQ would be much appretiated, as I
> have never set up a network from scratch...
>
>   BTW: Here are the particulars of the provider:
> 		560K line to the internet
> 		Starting with 5-10 dial in PPP lines and a couple of direct
>               56K feeds to customers
> 		Limited host access (shell style accounts)

If you haven't read David's FAQ, you should do so immediately.
http://www.amazing.com/internet/faq.html
http://www.amazing.com/internet/faq.txt

Emerging Technologies has sync serial cards and drivers for FreeBSD.
http://www.etinc.com

FreeBSD supports several async serial cards.  I have one client
using Riscom 8 port cards and I know they work well.  They use it
on a freenet box with Livingston PM2E-30s for the real dial-ups.

You should seriously consider using a terminal server, Livingston
PM2E-10 for instance.  Visit http://www.livingston.com for info
and http://www.whnet.com/wolfgang for pricing.

Router, modems, shell acounts, all on one machine is a bit much.
A router, shell/mail/www machine, and a terminal server is a
typical configuration.

John Capo
IRBS Engineering                      High performance FreeBSD systems