Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:37:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Getting to Stable and boot floppies

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Foster, Jim wrote:

> Alfred,
>
> I am looking just for a boot floppy, not an install floppy.  And, if it
> makes a difference, I am just using it to boot-strap to my disk
> installation.

newfs a floppy:

newfs -T fd1440 fd0

install the loader:

disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/fd0

edit "boot.conf" on the floppy to be: (mount the floppy)

boot 0:wd(0,a)kernel

i'm unsure of that last line, try it without the "boot" string if it
misbehaves.

You will have to replace the "0:wd(0,a)kernel" with what you need, for
more hints try "man boot" and "more /boot.help"

Then you can have a floppy that boots a kernel off a different disk.

-Alfred

btw, kzip works as follows:
cp /kernel <directory where you have write perms>
kzip kernel

ls -l kernel.kz

good luck.

> Since you mentioned the PicoBSD boot disk, does this mean that my existing
> FreeBSD Release floppy would work too?  Do I need to keep my boot floppy in
> sync with my installation?

You shouldn't unless changes are made to the kernel that make it
incompat with your boot disk's floppies, at that point you will
have to issue the:  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2
/dev/fd0 command again.

> With kzip, I did not see on the man page on how to specify what kernel file
> to use.  This seems to imply to me that it zips the "current" kernel, not
> necessarily one that is yet to be installed.  If this is the case it appears
> that I have a catch-22.  I can't make the boot floppy until I reboot, I
> can't reboot until I make the floppy.

read above.