Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 23:36:58 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

At 11:32 PM 2/5/99 , Wes Peters wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 01:21:33AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > Wanna bet?  Motorola had/has it running on their StarMax series.  They
>> > have a full-time engineer support Linux on their embedded and server
>> > PowerPC CPU boards now, too.  <Sigh>  Too bad we don't engender this
>> > kind of support.
>>
>> Maybe if FreeBSD had something Linux didn't that Motorola really,
>> really wanted.
>>
>> Like maybe hard RT with first-deadline-first scheduling.
>
>Motorola didn't want Linux, Northern Telecom did.  The reason it's
>getting full-time attention is because NT was pretty vocal, and
>because they had one brilliant engineer who had already done half
>the work on his own time because that's what he wanted to do.  If
>we'd managed to convince him to port FreeBSD to the PowerPC, NT
>would have probably ended up with that instead.  This case is so
>close to what happened with Sun last year it almost sickens me.
>
>Three guesses who that engineer is.  ;^)

I'm not going to guess who the engineer is.  BUt I'd be interested to know
what happened with Sun last year.  Maybe I know and I just think I'm living
in a hole.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D