Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:59:40 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "DF-Studios" <Bill@df-studios.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modems

> From: "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:15:56 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sunday 29 July 2001 14:28, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 July 2001 13:56, DF-Studios wrote:
> > > I have a USB Modem and a Winmodem
> > >
> > > Will either of these be compatable.?
> >
> > Maybe and yes, respectively.
>
> Donnone it, I said *exactly* the opposite of what I meant.  I hat that.
>
> I MEANT to say:
>
> Maybe and no, respectively.
>
> That is, the USB modem could potentially work, but the winmodem is a
> paperweight.

The correct answer is maybe and maybe, respectively.

If the USB modem is a "real" modem, it will likely work. If the
WinModem uses the Lucent or IBM DSP, it should work with extra
software. I can't find the pointer to the page where the FreeBSD
Lucent software is located, but work is in progress to get it into the
base configuration. (This is tricky because it includes a binary
module from Lucent.)

The IBM mWave modem driver is in /ports/comms/mwavem, although the
port was broken last week. (Update submitted, but possibly not yet
committed.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)