Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:49:33 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMI Merlin DP Motherboard

Hi,

> I'm about to take a plung and buy the AMI Merlin DP Dual Pentium Pro
> motherboard (my second choice is the SuperMicro P6DOF). Has anyone tired
> running the SMP kernel on this puppy yet? Is there any reason I should
> not buy this MB? I know the SMP kernel is not very stable on P6 yet, and
> I know it will take several more month before it happens.

I haven't received any reports on this board.  In general AMI makes good
hardware.  Is it an EISA motherboard?  I would caution against it if so.
In general EISA boards can give grief under the SMP spec even if you
don't use EISA cards.  Unfortunately the spec allows some pretty braindead
behaviour for EISA systems.  Some are fine, it depends on the chipset
and design used by the MB manufacturer.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD