Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:43:21 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Package dependency limitations

When I originally worked on the www/mod_perl port, I found an annoying
limitation in package dependencies.

Port dependencies basically say this:

	If file/library x is not installed install port y.

However, package dependencies say this:

	If port y is not installed, install port y.

This is a pain in the ass for things like mod_perl, which are designed
to work for any variant of apache, e.g. apache13 or apache13-fp.

I now face the same dilemma with the Exim ports, where I want to break
eximon, an X11-based Exim monitor, out into its own port.  I already
have the following ports for Exim:

	exim
	exim-ldap
	exim-ldap2
	exim-mysql
	exim-postgresql

The problem is that the new exim-monitor port will create a package that
depends only on the exim package.  If the operator has chosen exim-ldap,
for example, the exim-monitor package will still look for the exim
package as a dependency, fail to find it and try to install it or error
out.

Is this limitation in the FreeBSD package system still present and has
anyone looked at eliminating it?

Ciao,
Sheldon.