Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      matra <matra@diemme.it>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, matra wrote:
>
> > I had Linux for a year and now i want to install FreeBSD on my computer.
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> > 1 -- Kernel upgrade :
> >   Under linux a simple "patch -p0 < patch-xx.xx.xx" is sufficient to
> >   upgrade the kernel . Wat is the story about upgrading kernels under
> >   FreeBSD ? Can i ftp the newest 2.1.6 or 2.2.0 , put it in /sys/src
> >   and make a compile ?
> >   In other words : wat is the quickest way to upgrade my system to a
> >   newer version of FreeBSD?
>
> For the most part, the best way is to grab the boot floppy for the release
> in question and use the 'upgrade' option.  This upgrades the system
> binaries, source, etc. in one fell swoop.

First of all, i apologize for my poor english ...

Why!?

Under Linux i have only to patch the kernel and recompile! Why have i to
install and recompile everyting ?!..

The last night i have ftped the ssys.** of the 2.1.6 dist, unpacked it
and compiled in the sys dir ; All works correctly with no "make world"
commands .

Why have i to "make world" every time i have the new kernel ?

> > 2 -- SvgaLIB:
> >   Under Linux i have Svgalib .Wat is the svgalib for FreeBSD?
>
> I believe the same exists here.  At least a friend of mine has programmed
> with it.  Try asking in hackers@freebsd.org.

Will do.

Another question for you :
Under linux the gcc is 2.7.2 and libc is 5.4.17 . Under FreeBSD the
version is older : gcc 2.6.3 and libc 2.2 ( at least in my dist ).

Why they are so old ?
And how can i upgrade the gcc/libc/libg++ ? Can i ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu
the src and compile them ?

> > 3 -- ZIP Drive:
> >   I have a parallel port ZIP drive . How can i use this very useful
> >   gadget with FreeBSD?
>
> Not really.  I have the URL for a driver, but it's not included in the
> system and I have no idea how to hack it in.  Needless to say the SCSI
> units (attached to a supported adapter) work without a hitch.
>
> The URL is:
>
> http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html

Needless to say i have the ppa version!...

thanx for your help ,
cul8r