Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:06:14 -0500
From:      Eli Jackson <elio@GlobeSet.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X issues with Hinote VP (& ESS 1688, & APM, weee!)

Not using PAO (had it running for a day, preferred standard install, I'd
be happy to hear arguments of why PAO is better and the way to go).

Issue:  my X display is cutting off the right hand side of the screen,
and i can't get the display to go into anything greater than 640x480
(i'd say 30% of the right of my display is dead).  I've attempted to
scour the net for info/help, to no avail.  I can't find the screen
metrix (refresh rates, etc) for my notebook to do the manual painful
process of screen geometry i've seen.

(hardware specs:
http://www.digital.com.au/customers/products/hinote/Specvp10.htm CTS5100
is the model #, Hitachi TFT 10.4" is the screen type)

On a side note(s), has anyone gotten a notebook implementation of the
ESS1688 chipset to work?
Recompiling kernel to allow APM support resulted in massive timing
/clock errors - i've reverted back to my non APM implementation.
I won't ask about hotswapping PCMCIA cards today...

(been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks, attempting to brute
force solutions to these various problems, attempting to gleen
information from the net as i've found it).  I'm ready for input.

Eli O