Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:30:48 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM (Vincent Poy)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, mario1@PrimeNet.Com, johnnyu@accessus.net
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

I recently caught a breakin faily simaliar.
The perp replace /bin/login with one that would let them login
to ANY account with a password of "lemmein". The login would NOT be logged
and so it was very difficult to tell what was going on.

My only guess is that they used the old suidperl hack to get root.
Supposedly this doesnt work on newer perl though.

My suggestion to you would be to get a clean source tree, recompile everything
and install tripwire.

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com