Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Greg Troxel <gdt@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig wireless card options and DHCP

Greg Troxel writes:
| I currently have a home-grown /etc/pcccard_updown that gets called
| with '(insert|remove) wi0' and does lots of stuff; I have other
| scripts to set a control file for a 'location' which changes lots of
| the behavior.  But there is one problem this doesn't solve, which I
| think will require changes to dhclient-script:
|
| I want to be able to configure the laptop to 'just do DHCP', and go
| to various places which have different WEP keys, may or may not have
| WEP, and may be IBSS rather than infrastructure mode.
|
| So, I'd like dhclient to cycle through these various 'media settings',
| just like in the old days how it would change between 10base2 and
| 10baseT.
|
| Part of the reason I'm not wild about pccard_ether and rc.conf is that
| I have about 10 different profiles of addresses etc. depending on
| where I am.  With dhclient support for various WEP states and a dhcpd
| at each place, though, I could skip most of that.

I'd suggest creating:
	/etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
	/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
to do what you want.  With -stable you should be able to do everything
you need with ifconfig.  Before I used /etc/{start,stop}_if.an0 partially
since the various control programs where slightly different.  Now the
basic stuff has been unified.  However, even with the dhclient scripts
I need the /etc/stop_if.an0 to reconfigure my machine to operate the
way I want with no network connections.

Doug A.