Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:50:02 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        "Barriscale" <snizay@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp problems!

At 01:32 PM 4/14/98 -0000, Barriscale wrote:
>Sorry again but that didn't help at all. I start ppp with ppp -alias
>interactive
>then dial
>I get dail OK and login OK straight away within like 2 seconds. It takes
>much longer to connect through Windows.

This means nothing...

My FBSD box logs in in a matter of seconds, while my NT box used to taking
a couple of minutes (I could load Communicator 4 and Eudora Pro before it
could actually register my conmputer to the network; I run my system on a
586 Cyrix/100MHz).

> I've tried it sometimes but PPP ON
>myname never comes up. It always stays ppp ON myname. Also when I type term
>sometimes at ppp ON myname it says that it failed to open the modem.
>Iterrupted system call. I think there might be something wrong my modem
>configuration.

It may be the modem initialization string. It is very sensitive, and any
extra character - even spaces - may cause malfunctioning.

I suggest you to use the ppp.conf.sample file, make all mofifications and
save it as ppp.conf.

Alternativelly you can try looking at this:

http://www.nettaxi.com/citizens/E.Brandi/ppp.conf

This one is based on my personal ppp.conf, and actually works.

you will have to change the login sequence.

I don't think you can speak/read portuguese, but you can also try to follow
a couple of steps at:

http://www.nettaxi.com/citizens/E.Brandi/ppp.html

and

http://www.nettaxi.com/citizens/E.Brandi/ppp_det.html

>It's on COM1 on windows so I set the modem to /dev/cuaa0
>because it should be on sio0. There is supposed to be something similar to
>cuaa0, ttyS but I don't seem to have that at all. Can you help me please.

Your port setting are correct.

See if this helped, and keep calm.

BTW, make sure you reply to the list too, this way you can benefit from
all-of-those-cool-gurus' opinions/help too.