Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:16:09 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>, kit <a.bob@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Invitation to participate in PPPoE Trial" (fwd)

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 11:24:47AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> a.bob@xtra.co.nz said:
> > On a sort  of related topic what would be required to run RFC 2365 PPP
> > over AAL5.  Would it be easier/ harder than over UDP / Ethernet? How
> > would natm and user ppp fit?  And where would one look to find out
> > what is required?
>
> Anything that requires device-specific link negotiation isn't easy to
> implement at the moment - that's the idea behind changing the ``set
> dial'' stuff so that it's ``chat'' capabilities are abstracted at the
> device level.  This is what's really missing at the moment.

to take a right turn at the gate and because of some interestng
developments ...

can any of what we have been discussing be applied to frame
relay. i've been reading up on isdn and frame relay. here in
australia (my part ok) frame relay is significanly cheaper than
isdn services and from what the telco techies tell me the
implementation is far more reliable (dropout rates and overal
link stability and throughput).

is it possible to run frame relay over a freebsd based hardware
mix (computer+serial card+modem+ppp). sorry, if i got it all
base over apex i still find some (most) of this networking a
triffle confusing.

warm regards

jonathan

ps, how is, where does frame relay sit in relation to ppp and
this pppoe that is being discussed, please ?