Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:44:52 -0700
From:      "j telford" <jtelford@metroland.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump/Restore disk to disk trouble

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 02:38:58PM -0700, j telford wrote:
> First, I'm quite new at this.
> 2 Seagate 8 GB SCSI Ultra Wide off an Adptec 2940 UW.
> FeeBSD 3.4
>=20
> Complete new setup and no extra data on drives that didn't come with th=
e=20
> install CD.
>=20
> I realized I wanted to turn my /usr 16 GB slice into a vinum mirror to =
the=20
> other drive so I thought I could use dump/restore commands first move /=
usr to=20
a=20
> small 1 gb slice, create the vinum slice and copy it back. Also gives m=
e good=20
> experience playing with dump/restore and vinum before turning users loo=
se on=20
> the box.
> Well and I'm done playing and now need some help please.
> I searched back through some other posts and attempted the following:
>=20
> Current /usr slice da0s1f
> Create new slice on da1s1f
> Boot to single user mode
> fsck -y /
> fsck -y /dev/da0s1f
> fsck -y /dev/da1s1f
> Clean on all
>=20
> mount -u /
> mount /dev/da1s1f /mnt
>=20
> >From this point I tried 2 different dump/restore commands, both seem t=
o have=20
> trouble with the restore portion.
>=20
> Attempt 1
> dump -0f - /dev/da0s1f | (cd /mnt; restore -xf -)
>=20
> We get past "Dump:dumping (Pass iv) "=20
> Then a multiple of ' <file name> cannot create file no such directory '=
=20
errors.
> Then a multiple of ' <file name> cannot create hard link no such direct=
ory '=20
> errors.
> Then : set owner . y/n: I answer y
>=20
> /mnt now appears to contain some of the sub-directory tree but not all =
of it.
>=20
> Attempt 2
> dump -0f - /dev/da0s1f | restore -rf -
> Gets past 'dump:dumping (Pass IV) again then after a few minutes then a=
=20
> multitude of file names with the error 'unable to create device not=20
configured'
> fopen: device not configured.
> another pause with a message 'invalidating pack'
> and finally 'cannot create savefile ./resoresymtable for symbol table'
>=20
> I have also tried doing the dump and restore separately and can create =
a dump=20
> file on disk but the restore from disk file runs for a bit then asks fo=
r a=20
tape=20
> which I can't get around.

Is /dev/da0s1f roughly the same size as /dev/da1s1f? What does,

  % df -i

Produce when both are mounted? I'm just making a wild guess that those
errors could be from running out of inodes on the target partition.
--=20

Crist:
/usr (/dev/da0s1f) was a 16 gb slice and the new slice was (/dev/da1s1f) =
was=20
only 1 gb.
So the inode difference was huge.=20
Today just for testing I made /dev/da1s1f 16 GB and had the same results =
with=20
the above procedure. The dump/restore did not work.

Any other thoughts ? harware timeout or something ? The errors fly by so =
fast,=20
is there a log generated somewhere ?

Thanks, John.