Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 02:31:46 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Andrew Doane <adoane@puffer.quadrunner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Can I rescue this 2940UW?

On Saturday, 21st August 1999, Andrew Doane wrote:

>> I've been given a "dead" 2940UW.  In this case "dead" means that someone
>> flashed the wrong bios on it, and it no longer works in Windoze.  I've
>> confirmed that Windoze locks solid if this card is present.

>> So, do I have any chance?  Would it help to get more precise error messages?
>> By the way, it has a sticker on it: AHA-2940UW/GATEWAY

>Try to flash it with a proper BIOS.

I think the original owner got into this mess by trying to flash a "proper"
BIOS.  That is, I think he just grabbed something from Adaptec and whacked
it on.  Then he read this note about "don't flash this on an OEM card".

>If that doesn't work try to send
>it in for warrenty repair - but you'll have to send it to Gateway,
>not Adaptec (isn't OEM fun?).

I'm willing to try flashing the BIOS again if people who have played with
OEM cards recommend it, but I'm not going to be mailing it anywhere.  If
the original owner couldn't get them to fix it, I can't see how they would
do it for me.  (It's over 2 years old).  And I'd have to use a telephone!
Yuck!

Since FreeBSD can talk to it a little bit, I was hoping for a driver hack.
Maybe if the driver assumed it was a dumb slow card it would work and I
could get some use out of it.

Stephen.