Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 17:55:26 +0000
From:      Johnson@subr.cmq.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help on installing FreeBSD

Hello!!!
            I need help installing FreeBSD 2.2.1
I have Gateway P120 with a Toshiba IDE CD-ROM drive and 1.6G of hard
drive and a 3.5inch floppy drive. I have an internet connection
through an ISDN line. I have also acquired partition magic and
created three partitions on my hard drive. Drive C: primary partition
running Dos 6.22/Win 3.1, a hidden primary partition running Windows
95 and an extended partition which is a logical drive D: with about
205MB on it. I wish to install FreeBSD on drive D. I have already
visited the ftp site at Virginia Tech and copied most if not all the
bin distributions on about 15 floppy disks.
   Now my problem is I have made a boot floppy disk with the
installation instructions and the kernel of FreeBSD on it using the
fdimage boot.flp program. If I boot the computer with the boot disk I
get the installation process which shows me the disk geometry
indicating, I have about 5 partitions on the drive one FAT partition
type, one OS/2 partition type, two unused partitions which are
relatively small in size maybe about 3MB each and the extended
partition which I created by an earlier program, I still want to use
my other installed operating systems and I do not want to use the dos
fdisk type partition program to partition my entire disk like it is
showing in the drive geometry, because I am afraid I would all
previous data, if I create a freeBSD partition  on
the unused partitions I get only about 1MB allocated to freeBSD or
else nothing is created if I allocate more space than neccessary to
the unused partitions and if I try to create a freeBSD partition on
the extended partition, I get the message saying the partition is in
use.  and then I get errors saying that there were errors in the
installation preparation and I can't seem to get around this one.
Well let's say I am in a loop sort of.

Please can anybody who has done a similar thing or just have a better idea
how I can go about installing FreeBSD on my PC, help me..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Johnson Kudzo
Baton Rouge, Lousiana.