Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:41:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Stefan Eggers wrote:
> Only for pkg_create I had to use "-S" as "-s" was already in use.  And
> for the "size only" feature option "-z" as in si(z)e.  :-( Maybe
> someone has a better idea and can explain why it is better.
>
> For now I made "-S" give the name of the (optional) file which gets
> the size estimation and "-z" to indicate it should only do this
> estimation and not actually create a package.
>
> I would have liked "-s" for the size file and "-S" for the size file
> w/o actually creating a package.

Hum... well, I don't really see the point in that intermediate file, but
if you think it's necessary... :-) What mechanism do you use to store
this in precopiled packages and to retrieve it? (I.e. what format did you
use in the +CONTENTS file)

I hope you aren't depending on the ports collection (and thus your
size-file) being installed when trying to find out the size of some
package in - say - an ftp-install. :}

> Lib changes are usually not that severe I think.  How much would they
> usually add?  A few KByte I suppose.
>
> The compiler and architecture are the part which convinces me that
> this is not a good idea to put into the ports w/o propper identifi-
> cation of at least the architecture.  The compiler we could just
> assume to be the system's compiler.  Anybody using something else
> should know what he/she is doing anyway.

Well, I prefer actual values instead of rough estimates. And for the
compiler, there might be architectures that use egcs, and others that
(still) use gcc here, some of them RISC, others CISC happily intermixed.
Moreover, imagine the impact of other package variables like
NOPORTSDIR(sp?) employed at pkg create time, which will also result in
the pkg size differ.

(The reason I try to argue here is to get *BSD not too far apart - at
least from the interface's point of view :-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>