Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:08:44 -0800
From:      Shill <fake@verizon.net>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inetd and identd

Lanny,

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on trying another ident
daemon. However I'm still puzzled and am still looking for answers
to my questions:

(1) Why does inetd -d (debugging mode) hang my box?
(2) Does the inet daemon's auth -r not work at all?

(1) is the worse. If I try to boot with the -d flag, the box hangs
at boot and I need to reset it, boot -s, fsck, and then mount / in
read/write mode just to be able to edit rc.conf...

(2) is just annoying. Did anybody get auth to work with the -f flag?
I really want to be able to give fake ident replies but if I have
to, I'll just install a daemon from the ports.

It's just my nature. I can't ignore the problem, I have to know why
it doesn't work :P

> You may want to install pidentd which is in /usr/ports/security/pidentd.
> That will get you your ident. Then next thing you may want to try is to
> uncomment the following line in /etc/inetd.conf:
> #auth stream tcp wait root /usr/local/sbin/identd identd -w t120

> When that is done you need to find the pid of inetd.
> Type ps auxw | grep inetd
> You will see a number like shown below:

Or faster still: cat /var/run/inetd.pid

Shill