Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:35:29 -0500
From:      Klaus Steden <klaus@compt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unsetting domainname

I'm in a bit of bind (no pun) ... I need to unset the domain name on this
machine. It's been up a loooong time, and isn't likely to be rebooted soon;
however, here is my quandary ...

Now that the domain is set, 'passwd' doesn't work unless 'portmap' is running;
since this is a DMZ machine, I'd rather not have to run the portmapper on it,
but I'd like for users to still be able to change passwords.

I've futzed around with 'domainname' and the sysctl parameter, but so far, the
best I can get is a domain name of ' \n' or '\n\n' ... which are obviously
unacceptable.

How do I unset the machine's domain name completely?

thanks,
Klaus