Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:13:44 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        "'Greg 'groggy' Lehey'" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: vinum ad0h/ad0s1h issue

>I think I now understand the problem here.  Try the following patch
>and tell me if it solves the problem:
>
>--- vinumio.c   2 May 2002 08:43:44 -0000       1.52.2.6
>+++ vinumio.c   19 Sep 2002 05:10:27 -0000

Tried patch.  System no longer reads ad0h/ad2h, but after the second
'vinum start', the system shows 0 drives ('vinum ld' lists nothing.)

The third 'vinum start' reads ad0s1h/ad2s1h again.  Additional starts
cycle between the two (no drives, correct drives.)

>The problem here is that vinum_scandisk() tries to read from each
>slice.  If it doesn't find any (for example, on a dedicated disk), it
>tries the compatibility slice.  That normally works fine, but if all
>of the slices have already been read, it still falls through into this
>part.  Removing it should solve your problem; the real solution is a
>little more complicated and involves recognizing that we already know
>this drive.  I probably won't do that until I finally have the root
>file system running on Vinum, which will require mods in this same
>area.

Understandable.  Personally, now that I know the issue I just make sure
that I unload vinum if I'm not going to reboot after doing work in
single-user mode.  It's not like I'm constantly having to jump back
into single-user.

BTW, regarding my original problem with the filesystem corruption, it
hasn't returned.  I'm going to figure it was some combination of
softupdates/ata-wc that caused the filesystems to be out of sync.

Thanks!

Jaime