Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 17:37:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

> You have now promised a boat load of ``new'' features and plan to implement
> them in 2.1 is something that the decision was already made and _AGREED_
> to.
>
> This is a recuring theme, and yes, I am tearing you a new asshole over
> it, no that is not good for the project, so let try to reword this.

And I appreciate that.  Let me see if I can make my position plainer
and see what people on this list think of the whole situation.

First, let me be the first to say that this work should have been done
MONTHS ago.  I know that.  For one reason or another, too much stuff
happened in my life and the project and I didn't even so much as get
the chance to look at it.  Such is life, and I wish it were otherwise.

Second, let me clarify what the "recurring theme" REALLY is here.  The
problem is that I hate our install to pieces and consider it as broken
as David would, say, a UFS bug that randomly trashed your disk once
every other day or so.  Would you agree to releasing 2.1 the following
day if we discovered such a bug in UFS?  Of course you wouldn't - the
damage to our reputation would be incalculable and you'd know that as
well as everyone else.  However, when people can't install FreeBSD or
they have a really hard time doing it, it also does damage to our
reputation and perhaps you don't appreciate the full magnitude of each
shortcoming as much as I do given that such letters are generally sent
to _me_.  I could forward each and every one to -hackers, and will if
people would like me to, but I've just never seen much point in that
as I've generally been the only one on the sysinstall hook anyway.

If I could put our installation on a timeline, it would look like this:

1.0	- Beyond terrible.  There aren't too many words in the english
	  language that go far enough, so let me just summarize the
	  install here as "unacceptably bad by all biological standards"

1.1	- Still terrible.  Cosmetic fixes, but terrible, evil, horrible.

1.1.5.1	- See 1.1.

2.0	- First attempt to fix the horror.  Addresses many evils, introduces
	  still more.  On the whole, a failure.  A quick and nasty botch and
	  about as tough and robust as a robin's egg.

2.0.5	- Good intentions, bad, rushed implementation.  Rushed because
	  of bad timing and the fact that not enough time was budgeted
	  to deal with slice changes.  EVERYTHING in the 2.0.5 install was
	  a trade-off in achieving the absolute minimum in install
	  functionality in the shortest possible time, and the basic
	  approach to installation was subsequently proven to be entirely
	  wrong, like a car with no brakes and the ability to drive on
	  only one road!  Would you like to drive such a car?  Our users
	  certainly didn't seem to enjoy the experience in the many cases
	  when it crashed them into a wall or didn't allow them to turn just
	  when they really needed to.

Again, all code freeze issues aside, 2.1 WAS intended to redress the
balance of the many wrongs committed against our user base with 2.0.5
and that was certainly always my understanding during the many
conversations I've had over the months with folks like David, Poul and
Gary.

Be careful what you defend - you just might get it!  I'm perfectly
willing to just put sysinstall in the can right NOW, as it was in the
last snapshot, and that's no threat at all - I really can do that with
almost no effort.  It should build well enough, and it works well
enough for some percentage of users to get from A to Z with it.  But
only some, and we WILL get a lot of complaints.  Trust me, I know
what's wrong with that code and you can easily screw yourself very
badly with it, assuming that you can even install with it at all.
There is a disturbing number of users for whom sysinstall has never
worked!  I helped them for as long as I could and then regretfully
waved goodbye to them as they (with equal regrets) abandoned FreeBSD
and went to Linux as the only OS that would install for them.

Needless to say, having my name on something that broken causes me
almost physical pain, especially when I *know* how to fix a lot of it
and know that fixing it will save me and the other project members
endless grief in answering the same questions over and over and over
and..  Well, you get the picture.

The only fly in the ointment is that it's late, and I know that.  I am
working hard to try to deal with that now, and I DO have a substantial
advantage over what I had last time!  I have a complete libdisk to
work from, I know HOW to work with it now and all the ftp stuff is
also ready to grab and fold in.  Those two things alone probably
accounted for at least 90% of the time invested in the 2.0.5
sysinstall and they, with a few minor tweaks, will work just fine in
what I'm working on.

I have a proposal.  I'll keep working on the system I want to ship,
here in my corner with no serious pressure (except for what I apply to
myself).  If the release date is actually imminent (and it's not at
the moment, David's not even done merging bug fixes yet) and I've
still not got something better than what we have now, then I'll do
what I suggested; I'll just go with sysinstall from 2.1.0-950726-SNAP
and be done with it for 2.1.  No delays from me, no shifts in
paradigm, just the same old thing you all saw from the last SNAP.
I'll be sad, but I know that the SNAP worked for as many people (if
not more) than 2.0.5, so we'll be no WORSE off at least.

As you've resigned from the release team, I don't see the actual
methodology we use as affecting your life significantly in any way,
just so long as it goes out close to on-time (modulo any other delays
beyond my control) and in an installable shape.  Heck, since you say
you roll your own releases anyway and have for some time, you can even
continue using my old sysinstall if you like it better for some
reason.  I'm certainly not going to personally force you into
anything.

How's that for a compromise?  What do others think?  Are perhaps a few
weeks in extra hassles worth saving potentially many months of
anguised user questions?  I think so, but if the rest of you are too
eager for 2.1 to even possibly wait that long (and I really am talking
worst case, at least from my contribution's side of things) then I'll
go with the previous sysinstall.  Heck, in some ways it sure would
make my life a lot EASIER!  I could see it go either way, just so long
as I was sure it was what people really wanted.

					Jordan