Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:53:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: diskless hardware *design* suggestions

Don Yuniskis stands accused of saying:

> Haven't yet decided since that would be a daughterboard,
> anyway.  BTW, the SC400 includes support for direct drive
> of an LCD display, etc.  It *could* be kludged to drive
> a CRT with a small effort...

... so it has an onboard video controller of some sort?

> > DMA is not common with NICs.  Shared memory (usually controlled by
> > the NIC) and programmed I/O are the norm.
>
> Yes.  Those NIC's that support DMA tend to be bus-mastering
> themselves -- hence my problem!

The Crystal parts do slave DMA, but that's generally too slow to be useful.

> AMD's devices that are interesting all want to be bus masters.
> Some of SMC's newer parts are somewhat appealing (10Base*
> devices with integrated RAM, etc.).  Still no clear cut "winners",
> though...  it's unfortunate that all the [34]86 MCU's have either
> missing DRAM controllers or poor/nonexistent support for
> bus mastering (obviously because they would have to drive the bus
> back *into* the MCU core...)

TBH, unless you desperately need 100Mbps ethernet performance, a
PIO-only solution using an 8390-family part (private SRAM) or even one
using shared memory (remember that the 8390-family parts take most of
the work out of arbitrating for the RAM, check the datasheets) will
give you a very high-performance 10Mbps solution at low
cost/complexity.

The "smaller" solutions like the SMC and Crystal parts are short on
features (less packet RAM most significantly), and IMHO they're not
suitable if performance is an issue.