Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:34:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, osiris2002@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELETING WINDOWS 95, Please Help

On 15 Dec, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 12:02:42AM -0800, Alex wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:
>>
>>> I need BADLY a descent and FREE word procesor to help me write my
>>> essays, and don't tell me xword becuase it is highly unstable and
>>> always crashing, and Formating is ugly.
>>> I also need help on Printing Graphics on FreeBSD, I don't mean I will
>>> be printing Images or pictures, no Just formatted Documents, on a DOT
>>> MATRIX printer.
>>
>> Caldera (www.caldera.com) puts out StarOffice
>
> I hate StarOffice.  It's just like Microsoft Word, the screen is full
> of little unrecognizable pictures, and the editor is really weak.  But
> if that's what you're used to, and you can't make the step to a
> separate editor and formatter, then it might be for you.
>
>>> Please FreeBSD guys, Help me to get rid of Windows 95.
>
> My pleasure :-)

Mine too...

I really suggest that you try LyX, from the ports collection.  It does
have the disadvantage of requiring a full LaTeX install, which is some
20+M, but that is there in ports too, and the modern configuration
UI is pretty complete.

Even though it uses LaTeX, you don't really need to see it at all.  What
you have is a "what-you-see-is-what-you-mean" interface that is pleasant
to look at and fast.  It has a /really/ convenient equation editor, and
has no problem displaying EPS graphics in-situ.  (It can probably do
other graphics types, but EPS is all I use.)

I don't know that I'd bother trying to do broadsheet layout on it, but
that's not what it's for.  I've used it to write personal and business
letters and a 160 page, multi-chapter, fully cross-referenced document,
and it handled the latter with complete aplomb.

(Historical note, to confirm biasses: I've used LaTeX on its' own for
about ten years.  I've also used MS Word, and hate it.  I can never get
the text to flow properly past float figures, table formatting is
fragile, and I have /never/ worked on a Word document longer than five
pages that didn't cause the program to crash, losing work.)

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson