Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:31:54 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   LONG: trying to upgrade sendmail to 8.9.1

I know this is not directly FreeBSD related, but you guys are _the_ greatest
and your answers are always the most useful.

Well this is quite strange, and I know I must be missing something.
I am definately no sendmail expert, although I do have and read often from
the sendmail bible (thank God for o'reilly)

I have two machines, one I set up 8.9.1 sendmail from scratch and its
working fine.

The second is a already a production machine so I am having to port over an
existing config to it.

The second machine is currently running 8.8.8...  I have built the new
sendmail binary, and it is under
/usr/local/sendmail-8.9.1/src/obj.BSD-OS.2.1.i386/sendmail

I have not installed the binary because I wanted to do a little testing on
the production machine before I turn it loose.

On the 2nd machine, here is my mc file:

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)freebsd.mc       $Revision: 1.1.4.4 $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(access_db)dnl
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(uucp)dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw')dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.ct')dnl

LOCAL_RULESETS
R$+ <@ jonesboro.org.>        $#uucp-dom $@jonesboro $:$jonesboro!$1

(note: there is a tab between the LHS and the RHS)

the LOCAL_RULESET is my attempt at routing email for a local uucp-dom client
that dials in to pick up mail.  This rule works great in my 8.8.8 config.

Ok, so I make my .cf file by m4 ../m4/cf.m4 testfile.mc > testfile.cf
I copy the testfile.cf to /etc/sendmail.cf
then I fire up the new binary of sendmail with

/usr/local/sendmail-8.9.1/src/obj.BSD-OS.2.1.i386/sendmail

which comes off without a hitch... EXCEPT  when I try to send email... then
I get

/etc/sendmail.cf: line 846: Inappropriate use of $# on LHS
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 871: Inappropriate use of $# on LHS
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 937: Inappropriate use of $# on LHS
Warning: .cf version level (8) exceeds sendmail version 8.8.8 functionality
(7): Socket operation on non-socket

I looked through my sendmail.cf file and the code seems ok compared to my
working 8.9.1 machine... not quite sure where to look here...

and this is also probably relative too, I get in my log files:
Sep 15 11:27:21 ns sendmail[11342]: /etc/spwd.db: Inappropriate file type or
format
Sep 15 11:27:21 ns sendmail[11341]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID0): Cannot open hash
database /etc/aliases.db: Inappropriate file type or format

Ok. so what format is 8.9.1 expecting the db files to be?

Thanks for your help guys...

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.