Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 21:52:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Web server locks up... but not quite. (?)

    This sort of thing has happened before with other 2.1.0-R machines
here, but tonight was the first time I was able to get to the console
of one before someone else rebooted it.

    Our web server is a P90 with 64 megabytes of RAM, running Apache
1.0.2.  For no discernable reason, it stopped working tonight.
"Stopped working" in that no TCP services were available, NFS clients
that mounted a filesystem served from it hung in disk wait and no
rwhod packets were being broadcast.

    You could telnet to various ports on it (indicating that inetd was
still bound to those ports), but none of the services normally
attached to those ports would run, including internal ones like
chargen or daytime (indicating that inetd was blocked in some way).
It wasn't fielding RPC requests either.  The login prompt was still
displayed on all the virtual consoles (I was still able to switch
between them), but there was no response from the keyboard, as if the
getty's had died off.  The only sign of life was that it was returning
pings from another machine.

    There were no telltale messages on the console, nor in the syslog.
This server gets 250,000 to 300,000 hits per day.  While it is
running, it does not appear to be under any excessive load.  There are
typically 40 to 60 httpd's running.  It exports a 4-gigabyte
filesystem containing access logs to client machines so our customers
can produce statistical reports.  It also mounts 26 gigabytes of home
directories from a central NFS server.

    Since there is no indication as to the source of the hang, is
there anything I can run periodically from cron to help track down the
problem?  I can start tracking load averages, swap space usage, the
output of vmstat, netstat, iostat and nfsstat if that will help.  Any
suggestions?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.