Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 00:51:02 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [JUPITER] Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode (Was: Re: Woo hoo ... it crashed!! )

Okay, just to confirm, but all you want me to change is to set
kern.maxvnodes to 150000, correct?

> sysctl kern.maxvnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 150000

If so, done on both servers and rebooted ...

Side question ... is there a config file that I can use to tell the kernel
to auto-load netdump_client on reboot, or do I just add 'kldload
netdump_client' to /etc/rc.local?

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     ps -M vmcore.jupiter.00 -N kernel.jupiter -ax | wc -l
>     2071
>
>     The huge number of processes are eating a huge number of PV entries for
>     page table mappings.  Over 121 megabytes, in fact!
>
>     I have one word to say about all of this:  Wow.

S'alright, I've had it climb to >3000 ... I love the fact that the server
hardly breaks a sweat most times ... I've even seen the loadavg hit >500
and still be able to login to correct it ... :)

Just as an FYI ... these machines are Dual PIII's, 4Gig of RAM and run 149
and 94 jail servers respectively ... other then the crashes, I've been
most impressed with how both the OS and the hardware has been handling
things ...