Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:15:58 +0300
From:      Kari Pietarinen <Kari.Pietarinen@saunalahti.fi>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd-amd64 nforce3 serial-ata problems

Hi all.

I have FreeBSD-Amd64 5.2.1 with athlon64 3000+ system with (EP-8KDA3J)*
*nForce3-250 chipset under configuration. In some boot i noticed that
serial-ata is used only in UDA33 mode and is only disk that this system
to have, so the system would be quite inuseful to original purpose
because of slow filesystem I/O.
This far I have made some minor investigation conserning the proplem and
here is some outputs

dmesg:

_Mao# dmesg|grep 'ad4'
GEOM: create disk ad4 dp=0xffffff0000ecfca0
ad4: 35304MB <WDC WD360GD-00FNA0> [71730/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA33
_
and dmesg for atacontrollers:

_Mao# dmesg|grep 'atapci'
atapci0: <GENERIC ATA controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device 8.0 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
atapci1: <GENERIC ATA controller> port
0xc800-0xc87f,0xc400-0xc40f,0xb70-0xb73,0x970-0x977,0xbf0-0xbf3,0x9f0-0x9f7
irq 11 at device 10.0 on pci0
atapci1: [MPSAFE]
ata2: at 0x9f0 on atapci1
ata3: at 0x970 on atapci1
_
atacontrol outputs:

_Mao# atacontrol list|grep 'ad4'
    Master:  ad4 <WDC WD360GD-00FNA0/35.06K35> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
_
ATA/ATAPI rev 6 is "alias" for UDMA100 or visa versa, BUT if i try to
set UDMA133 or UDMA100 on manually with atacontrol it gives me following
output:

_Mao# atacontrol mode 2 UDMA100 BIOSPIO
Master = UDMA33
Slave  = BIOSPIO
_
benchmarking with bonnie/bonnie++ or timed dd indicates that _buffered_
disk I/O is approximately 50Mb/sec, so that leads to conclusion that
this atapci controller uses disk really as UDMA33.

Output of pciconf:

_Mao# pciconf -lv|grep 'atapci'
atapci0@pci0:8:0:       class=0x01018a card=0x100c1695 chip=0x00e510de
rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
atapci1@pci0:10:0:      class=0x010185 card=0x100c1695 chip=0x00e310de
rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
_
I have searched posts and groups for this problem and there seems to
been some similar issues conserning Serial-ATA/ATA:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2004-January/000415.html
<- Same issue with non-SATA controller

<- Same issue with exeption that this system doesn't complain about /DMA
limited to UDMA33 /AND sees SATA controller as GENERIC ATA

As I am NOT expert on SATA issues so I'm bit of confused here, but
pointing to information beneath I would think that system sees this SATA
controller as an generic ATA controller and so can I assume that it is
driver problem with nforce3? Also integrated nvGigabit ethernet chip
doesn't work, nForce3-150 have patch but i didn't have any success with
that (pciconf does not see ethernet chip at all). Can anyone point me
solution or any other knowledge to these problems?

Also,  I have another motherboard (8KDA3+) with execption that it have
silicons sata chip (SIL 3114) integrated on it, any experiences with SIL
3114 and FreeBSD-amd64?

Gratefully,
                   Kari Pietarinen