Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:54:08 +0200
From:      G Bryant <bsd@roamingsolutions.net>
To:        Ian <isoboroff@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging a simple net problem

Ian wrote:

>I have a fresh install of 6.0-RELEASE on an old PII-450 machine I had lying
>around.  It didn't have built-in Ethernet so I put in an old 3Com Etherlink
>III ISA card into the remaining ISA slot.
>
>I can get an address via DHCP from my router, but I can't ping the router.
>I can ping 127.0.0.1, and the IP address the machine was assigned.  The
>ifconfig and netstat -r look OK, I have addresses on my net going to ep0 and
>a default route out via the router.
>
>I'm puzzled that DHCP works but nothing else.  I configured the card using
>sysinstall but I can manually configure the card with a valid address and
>routing info, with the same result.  I'm not sure how to test further from
>here.  Can someone tell me what I might try next?
>
>I was considering replacing the network card, but since I can DHCP the card
>does appear to work.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ian

Hi,
I assume you have no firewall running.  (If you do - check if you are
blocking icmp packets)
Can you ping the BSD box from another machine on the same LAN?
Check that your DHCP sent you the correct settings (netmask once fooled me).
Try ping something else on the LAN besides the router.
Switch out any hub, switch or cable you have inbetween the BSD box and
the router (or try bypass it with a cross-cable).
I guess lastly try switch the card out for another card.
Hope you come right.
Graham