Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:21:10 +0100
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        chris@i13i.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ruby 1.8.4 + mod_ruby = "undefined symbol: pthread_create"?

--=-GhOdr/TrvFPpeFY+8asr

chris@i13i.com p=ED=A8e v ne 15. 01. 2006 v 10:38 -0600:

> Modify the configure script so if apache to compiled using threads as
> there is a way to compile apache using threads to use the -lpthread gcc
> extension if not then dont compile in support for it i thought -lpthread
> was deprecated and we now use libthr or libkse ?

I'm not sure I'm following you. First, -lpthread actually is renamed
libkse. I can't "not compile" in threads because ruby is always
threaded.

> > Alexander Wittig p=ED=B9e v ne 15. 01. 2006 v 14:07 +0100:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Thanks Pav for importing ruby 1.8.4 into the ports tree. Looks like
> >> things are going fairly well, my production systems still work after
> >> portupgrade -a :-)
> >> However there has been one problem with mod_ruby: It does not load any
> >> more with apache20. I reinstalled everything (www/mod_ruby,
> >> textproc/eruby, lang/ruby18) but it still doesn't work. Error message
> >> from apache:
> >>
> >> [root@hotzenplotz:/data/apache/wittig.name/alex]apachectl -DSSL -k
> >> restart
> >> Syntax error on line 122 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
> >> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_ruby.so into server:
> >> /usr/local/lib/libruby18.so.18: Undefined symbol "pthread_create"
> >>
> >> This only happens on FBSD 6, FBSD 4 is not affected. I assume this is
> >> because apache is not built with -pthreads while rubylib is (at least =
on
> >> FBSD >=3D 5). The workaround I use is to load libpthread into apache f=
rom
> >> httpd.conf:
> >>
> >> LoadFile /usr/lib/libpthread.so
> >> LoadModule ruby_module   libexec/apache2/mod_ruby.so
> >
> > Shared objects does not link threading library on FreeBSD, it's assumed
> > that final binary will link in desired threading library. Because Apach=
> > itself isn't threaded, this never happens.
> >
> > I'll have to find a way to force lpthread linkage onto a shared object.
> >
> > --
> > Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
> >               <pav@FreeBSD.org>
> >
> > May your arrow always find its mark.
> >
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

No one expects the spanish inquisition.

--=-GhOdr/TrvFPpeFY+8asr
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-GhOdr/TrvFPpeFY+8asr--