Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 17:15:58 -0700
From:      Deborah Gronke Bennett <deborah@microunity.com>
To:        gusw@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Gunther Schadow)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 U makes fatal bus resets!

Did you see my posting on almost the same day reporting
problems with the same controller as you have and
a CD-ROM drive? I can get the machine to boot, but
when I mount from the CD I see the exact same error
messages as you do. From our mutual problems, I suspect
the problem is with the controller, not the SCSI
devices attached. The controller is rather new.

I don't have the ability to submit a problem report
using send-pr right now - do you? Have you submitted
a report yet? Did you get any response?

I am copying this reply to the freebsd-hackers list
in hope that someone there might already be working on
the problem, or be interested enough to read the
two articles in the newsgroup before they expire.

-deborah bennett

   Hi,

   my new machine has an Adaptech 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter with
   an IBM DORS SCSI2 (2 GB) disk, a CD ROM and a DAT drive attached to
   it. Now, when I write to the DAT, everything seems O.K., however,
   when trying to read, I sometimes get:

   ahc0: target 6, lun 0 (st0) timed out
   st0(ahc0:6:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message queued
   and then:
   st0(ahc0:6:0): Target Busy

   I can't figure out, what is wrong here, since sometimes reading works
   just fine.