Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:46:07 +0000
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Mina_Gali=C4=87?= <me+freebsd@igalic.co>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building ZFS disk images

=E2=80=90=E2=80=90snip---

*puts on cloud-init contributor hat*

> > No, because you might create a VM image once, then instantiate it
> > dozens or thousands of times. The firstboot solution is great because
> > it lets you reuse the same image file.
>
> I would continue to argue that the place to fix this is in the
> "instantiate tool". ESXI vmfs deals with this all the time
> when you clone a disk. And again the "fix at boot" does not
> deal with the problem in that if I "instatiate" 10 copies of
> a zpool for VM's and then try to mount 2 of them at once on
> the host this problem rares it head. Fix the problem as close
> to point of creation as possible for minimal issues in all
> operations for everyone.

a lot of folks use cloud-init for provisioning different Unices onto
different virtualisation (cloud) platforms.

We could fix it there.
We already extend paritions, filesystems and ZFS pools in cloud-init.

now, again, one could argue that's the wrong place to do any of that,
and we should just be using firstboot.
But the problem seems to be that a lot folks out there got into the
habit of creating and publishing (FreeBSD) images, seem to have
forgotten or never knew about firstboot, and don't to set it.

Mina Gali=C4=87

Web: https://igalic.co/
PkgBase: https://alpha.pkgbase.live/

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?iBt_vhcueJYw6CtKAzdRkS5xp5szyBDpfTEe84-As6Ps_pX9syQci1lOWta6uVnbD1v7sVH9tnAiHzC4goBTeNnfDEkZIxLVshTIMmZVy2w=>