Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 2015 06:53:21 -0700
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10: no interfaces

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 3:42 AM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 23:10:09 -0700, Paul Beard wrote:
>> I just built 10.2 from source, running in a VM, as I have been doing
>> with 8.x for a couple of years. The VM is a clone of the 8.4 environment.=

>=20
> Do you have any nonstandard kernel options?

No, I built the GENERIC kernel.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> For some reason, no interfaces are created at boot time, no loopback
>> or other interfaces. As you might guess, that limits the utility of a
>> FreeBSD install a bit.
>=20
> Quite. :-)
>=20
> Network interfaces will only appear if the VM support has been
> installed _and_ the VM environment has defined virtual network
> interfaces (compatible with mentioned support). However, a
> loopback device should allear withouth any configuration.

I have the vbox* options set in rc.conf and the relevant ports installed.
>=20
> Depending on what VM you're using, "vmware-tools" might be needed.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> Here=81fs a screen shot of what I can see:
>=20
> There is no screenshot. The list only allows text attachments.
> But you can link to a web resource.
>=20
Ah, ok.=20
>=20
>=20
>> Nothing in messages. The interface is seen in dmesg and seems to be loade=
d.
>=20
> What's the output of "ifconfig -a"?

Nothing much: no names, the summed values, and the properties=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> What could be the trouble?
>=20
> Interfaces loaded, but not configured? CHeck the relevant
> sections of /etc/rc.conf. The transition from FreeBSD 8=20
> to FreeBSD 10 might show some changes.

I made as few changes as I could unless I needed to. The same interfaces are=
 loaded as in 8.4 and appear in dmesg.=20