Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:27:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   User ppp keepalive logic

I was thinking it would be a good idea to only run keepalive logic on
incoming packets and not outgoing packets in user ppp.

With one ISP I use, I often run into a situation where the link hangs up,
and no communication is possible, but user ppp thinks everything is ok.
Unfortunately the link stays alive, because I have a mailer that keeps
trying to look at an imap server, or a Win95 box on the local network is
doing something stupid.

If the keepalive only worked on incoming packets, it would handle the
error condition where packets go out but never come back.

I am going to do this for my own purposes, but I wondered whether people
felt it might be a good idea for the freebsd distribution.

Charles Mott