Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:54:13 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 11-Alpha to 11-Beta rewrite card or buildworld
References:  <CABMOuVdW9SFFJineYtv6hvYypgRwBP9dEn-OKvb9xL2_XAXhvQ@mail.gmail.com> <CABMOuVeXnKrF52L-Xo1RYjdYhN8eoWOo8nLShxHn-TteAnyObg@mail.gmail.com> <CABMOuVd2z-3Do98C0kbDPXowvvP7-j=XMZ-x3ED=A37w=zPkYA@mail.gmail.com> <CABMOuVc%2BiHL4GLw=4BDE=%2B1ZKfw3wzxQRyJrO5OdNbw4ets-Xw@mail.gmail.com> <4876c9e05d5.30c7197a@mail.schwarzes.net> <CABMOuVfEefQ8BAxtUNrAUwTnwkq-4dN4T=X-aOWutgUec-p7Rw@mail.gmail.com> <20160711050802.4743251.48194.8248@gmail.com> <271F1F0A-B8B5-4A13-8BB8-3C5323622CDD@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> <cf3d7f5f-f9d4-49b5-d1f7-1664b09c5c45@denninger.net>

On Jul 11, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:

> On 7/11/2016 07:51, Paul Mather wrote:
>> On Jul 11, 2016, at 1:08 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> Sorry about the top post.=20
>>>=20
>>> If your not trying to learn about the build process and=E2=80=8E you =
don't have a custom build requirement, why not use a prebuilt image move =
on to validating the running OS instead of repeating what the build =
server does?
>>>=20
>>> I would think there is more value in finding anomalies in your =
favorite applications. =46rom my understanding there have been big =
changes to the fundamentals of the OS (i.e hard float, compiler =
upgrades, byte alignments etc).
>>=20
>> Speaking for myself, I just find the build{world,kernel} + =
install{kernel,world} + mergemaster sequence of updating the system a =
much more ingrained and normal method of doing things.  It seems =
"natural" to me to update my FreeBSD/arm systems the same way I update =
my FreeBSD/amd64 systems.
>>=20
>> Besides, if I overwrote my SD card with a new install image, I'd lose =
all my settings (e.g., users, custom /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ =
repository, swap partition on SD card, /etc/fstab changes to make /tmp =
bigger[*], etc.).  It's more natural for me to use the standard update =
technique than redo those changes from scratch each time I update the =
OS.  (I'm using SaltStack to configure more and more, but even getting a =
minion set up means it's easier to update the standard way than start =
with a fresh install image and have to re-bootstrap SaltStack.)
>>=20
>> Cheers,
>>=20
>> Paul.
>>=20
> The reason I do the "crossbuild" + "rsync" thing is that it gives me =
the
> ability to do the buildworld/buildkernel/installworld/installkernel
> paradigm to a "holding directory" on a very fast machine, then rsync =
the
> results.  (Mounting the holding directory via NFS works as well but I
> see no real advantage to that over using rsync)
>=20
> That means I don't lose anything I did to the machine after install
> (e.g. users, etc) and in addition I can put local patches on the =
source
> tree if required, but I still get a reasonable build time.

I've successfully done cross building on a fast FreeBSD/amd64 machine =
but have always had to move the SD card physically to that machine to do =
the install{kernel,world} + mergemaster phase.  The reason for this is =
when I tried rsyncing to copy to the FreeBSD/arm system the rsync =
application would not handle file flags (noschg, etc.) properly and =
rsyncing would fail, even though I'd built it with the file flags patch =
enabled.  Going by what you say above, that appears to work properly =
now, so I may re-try that.

I've also not had luck cross building on a fast FreeBSD/amd64 system and =
then trying to install on FreeBSD/arm by NFS mounting the src and obj =
crossbuild directories and doing an install{kernel,world} + mergemaster =
on the FreeBSD/arm system.  When I posted about this I believe the =
reason is that the build systems gets confused about the change in build =
and install paths.  There may also be something about the build/install =
toolchain, too.  I forget.  I just remember it didn't seem to work for =
me when I tried it and asked about it on this mailing list. :-)

If someone were to do a little "fastest way to update your FreeBSD/arm =
OS without having to move the SD card physically to the build system" =
HOWTO, that would be great. ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.