Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:01:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to actually make a difference (Re: dot-0 releases)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, David Murphy wrote:

> The documentation should, of course, aim to teach everyone, but I
> suggest an intermediate target to aim for: teaching the experienced,
> skilful systems administrator unfamiliar with FreeBSD about FreeBSD's
> particular quirks.
>
> It would also greatly help if the people who write the manuals
> [Handbook, Release Notes and Release Announcements] and the people who
> make pronouncements on mailing lists such as these synced up a little.

With all the wastage of words on this topic, you (and others) could have
written the simple patches to the documentation which clarify the
"upgrading from source" issues and any others you may have. The doc
committers don't have some god-given mandate on system documentation, you
know. The first draft might not be acceptable to everyone, but it would be
a start, and it would be a hell of a lot more constructive than just
saying "something should be done to improve the documentation, by god".

If you don't understand SGML, write in plain text and someone will be
happy to mark it up for you once it's written.

Kris

----