Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:08:55 -0400
From:      Kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why sshd:PermitRootLogin = no ?

At 05:53 PM 10/05/2001 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>Why is sshd's PermitRootLogin set to 'no' in the default installation of
>FreeBSD?
>
>The security gain for a brand new installation is questionable.  The
>downside is that, when you have remote hands pressing the buttons for
>you during the installation, an extra user has to be created by those
>hands.

Typically it is considered very insecure to allow an UID 0 user to log in
directly, via telnet, sshd, or whatever.  The issue here is that a
malicious individual could attempt to guess and/or brute-force the root
password.

The preferred procedure is to create a non-root user who is in the wheel
group (for *BSD specifically), and use su to become root after logon.

There are a few specific cases where it may be beneficial for root to be
allowed to log on directly, if only for a short period of time;
unfortunately I don't know of any way to configure sshd to allow this
during the actual install.  For the most part, this default setting is
considered a 'good thing' in terms of out-of-box security.

--K