Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:25:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rob Malan <rmalan@eecs.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Building commercial systems using FreeBSD

On 29-Dec-99 Rob Malan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building a software system that requires kernel modifications.  I want
> to resell the resulting software.  What are the commercial licensing
> criteria for using FreeBSD as a platform?  Are any kernel modifications
> encumbered (ala GPL)?
>
> I appreciate your help.

You may read the COPYRIGHT at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/COPYRIGHT?rev=1.4

You'll want to get a lawyer or your legal department to check that out
for you.  Basically, you have to include a copyright statement in the source
code and in the documentation.  You also can't use the names of any of the
contributors as advertising material w/o prior permission.  Other than that you
can do whatever you want.  Thus, you can freely make modifications which you
don't have to redistribute, and you can freely sell your product.