Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:07:53 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "philuint@erols.com" <philuint@erols.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Q: cannot resolv: ....

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:05:54 -0500, philuint@erols.com wrote:

>    cannot resolve: Host name lookup failure.
>
>   I did create /etc/resolv.conf file and /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf

You should know two IP addresses:	(you can call your ISP on the voice line to get this info)
What is the IP address of your ISP ?
What is the IP address of your ISPs nameserver ?

Use the IP address of your ISP and ping it:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

that avoids using the nameserver and verifies that your ppp connection is in fact connected...
if the ping packets are 100% lost, then you don't have a good ppp connection...

then make sure nameserver	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the second IP address from above) is in your resolv.conf

ping that IP address to make sure it's valid and alive.
then try host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the first IP address
and then with the other.
the host command will cause a name lookup at the nameserver.

hope this helps a little...