Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:56:21 +0200
From:      Pavol Adamec <palo.adamec@tecton.sk>
To:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Tcp shadowing for use in HTTP proxy

I'm sorry but I think that the use of such a shadow interface would be very very limited.
The main restriction is that a client PC sits on an isolated LAN connected to the world
through exactly one router. The router is also doing the job of a proxy. I think that
in such a case the router in many cases also applies NAT to the trafic, so the client's
IP is changed anyway.
Another point is that any misguided application or misguided configuration of an
application could bind to any IP without an error message. As for me - I've already done
such a mistake, especially when configuring a just installed application (wrong bind IP
for squid, for example).

It would be interesting to know the real purpose that led to the idea. Why is it so
important for the server to see client's real IP or why is it so important for the
proxy to have the server see client's real IP.

Pavol Adamec