Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:49:09 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssmtp fails to open smtp server

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:30:22PM -0800, Gary Schenk wrote:
> I need help, I'm out of ideas. I've just installed 5.3:
>=20
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> FreeBSD fuzz.socal.rr.com 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5=
=20
> 04:19:18 UTC 2004=20
> root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>=20
> My email is working fine with Mozilla, however I'd like to get mutt=20
> working. The problem is sending email with mutt. I first tried to make a=
=20
> custom sendmail.cf file as outlined in the handbook vol.II page 334. I=20
> wrote the file, and then tried to follow the instructions on page 332 to=
=20
> make a valid sendamil.cf file. When I tried the command:
>=20
> su-2.05b# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf
> su: cd: /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf: No such file or directory

This is actually to be found in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/cf/

> The handbook on the web was no different. So that had me stuck. Reading=
=20
> further I saw ssmtp might be the solution to my problems. As shown in=20
> the handbook I installed ssmtp with 'make install replace clean' Then=20
> did 'make replace' as per the message after installing. I then edited=20
> the rc.conf file:
>=20
[---snip---]
> sendmail_enable=3D"NONE"
>=20
> And then created a ssmtp.conf file thusly:
>=20
> su-2.05b# more /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
> root=3Dgwschenk@socal.rr.com
> mailhub=3Dsmtp-server@socal.rr.com
> rewriteDomain=3Dsocal.rr.com
> hostname=3Dfuzz.socal.rr.com
>=20
> When I installed, I gave my machine a hostname that I thought might help=
=20
> me fool sendmail into working for me.
>=20
> su-2.05b# hostname
> fuzz.socal.rr.com
>=20
> When I try to send mail from mutt I get these errors in /var/log/maillog:
>=20
> Dec 13 21:55:44 fuzz sSMTP[525]: Unable to locate smtp-server@socal.rr.com
> Dec 13 21:55:44 fuzz sSMTP[525]: Cannot open smtp-server@socal.rr.com:25
> Dec 13 22:00:25 fuzz sSMTP[629]: Unable to locate smtp-server@socal.rr.com
> Dec 13 22:00:25 fuzz sSMTP[629]: Cannot open smtp-server@socal.rr.com:25
>=20
> I've botched something up, but don't know what. Any ideas?

It looks to me as if mailhub should be an fqdn of a mail relay server,
not an email address...

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \