Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 13:12:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ESS 1969 mainboard sound controller

Hello everyone,
  I have a mobo with an ESS 1969 sound controller built in. It is
recognized under Linux as an ESS Solo-1 Audiodrive and supported as
such. Unfortunately, I have had less success getting this chipset to work
under BSD. I am running the 4.0-RELEASE kernel, and some of the
instructions I found in older posts don't seem to apply to this
kernel. Particularly, there doesn't appear to be a pnp device anymore...

So far, I have recompiled the kernel removing all extraneous devices and
added:

option	PNPBIOS
device	pcm

Am I missing something here? The chip is reported by the PNP system as a
PCI device. Should I try figuring out where it is located and specifying
it by that? I'm kind of stumped on this one.

Thanks,
Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com