Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:05:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      joed@ksu.edu
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD on a headless pc?

As Doug White wrote:

> > I suppose that in addition to this request that I'm also looking for
> > the installer to install a kernel with all the serial console stuff already
> > in the kernel.  At least enough for me to get the machine running and
> > compile my own kernel.
>
> The -k option is your friend.  Once you get up you can build with 'options
> COMCONSOLE'.
>
> Rebuilding the boot floppy is a long and arduous process.
>
> > Essentially I'm looking at building a FreeBSD based firewall.. The
> > machine is going to be headless, and so I'd just assume not have to
> > take my desktop workstation apart for the monitor and video card.
>
> Oh, just lazy.  :)

Oh but how can I live without my irc window for *that* long?   I might miss
an important pop run or something.  *smirk*

> Try -k.  I've never tried it so the results may not be defined.

Okie dokie (puts his blind man hat on and tries to time -k properly)

Just out of curiousity (I seem to be having bad luck with this lately...)
is there any documentation somewhere on the process of building an install
floppy.   Just in case I got over zealoused and decided to try to build my
own install froppy?

Specificially I'm curious about how to construct the filesystem and how to
read stuff off the existing boot floppies.

Thank you

Again please cc:joed@ksu.edu

---
Joe Diehl <joed@ksu.edu>