Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:57:18 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Ola Samuelson <ola@datalink.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD and Internet applications

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 at 10:55 SAT, Ola Samuelson wrote:

> If I want to replace our NT server and its internet applicationes with
> BSD without
> using CGI or other scriptinglanguage, what technique do i use?

I don't quite understand what you mean.

Firstly, CGI isn't a scripting language, it's an interface specification.
CGI applications can be written in just about any programming language, and
most (all?) Web servers on any operating system you can name support it.

Secondly, surely your NT "internet applications" were written in some
language or another...?  I don't see how you expect to create appliations
without using any programming language...  :-)

> I would like to use my DLL:s and exe:s but I guess these do not work.

Nope.

> Can I use server side Java(servlets)? How? Problems?

I've not yet delved into this myself, but see:
  http://java.apache.org/

> Like I said I do NOT want to use CGI, pearl ...

If you explicitly don't want to use CGI, there are inline scripting languages
which do things analogous to what ASP does with NT/IIS.  An example is PHP:
  http://www.php.net/

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559