Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:23:52 +0100
From:      Gaf <moak@bredband.net>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: onboard sound does not work

On Monday 09 February 2004 21.24, you wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:47:31PM +0100, by way of Gaf <moak@bredband.net>
wrote:
> > Hello.
> > I am a newbie to both unix and FreeBSD. I am trying to configure my
> > onboard sond without success.
> >  My motherboard: ASUS P4S800-MX
> > Audio spec: ADI AD1888 6channel audio codec.
> >
> > pciconf -lv says:
> > pcm0@pci0:2:7:  class=0x040100 card=0x810d1043 chip=0x70121039 rev=0xa0
> > hdr=0x00
> >     vendor   = 'Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)'
> >     device   = 'SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator'
> >     class    = multimedia
> >     subclass = audio
> >
> > dmesg:
> > pcm0: <SiS 7012> port 0xa000-0xa07f,0xa400-0xa4ff irq 18 at device 2.7 on
> >  pci0 pcm0: <Unknown AC97 Codec (id = 0x41445368)>
> >
> > I tried kldload snd_driver.ko but
> > kldstat says:
> > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >  1   35 0xc0400000 37fd84   kernel
> >  2    1 0xc0780000 51a18    acpi.ko
> >  3    1 0xc2c24000 8000     ipfw.ko
> >  4    1 0xc2c62000 19000    linux.ko
> >  5    1 0xc3306000 2000     snd_driver.ko
> >  6    1 0xc3308000 8000     snd_maestro3.ko
> >
> > I have device pcm in my kernel.
> > Is there something more you need to know??
> > I have read man pcm, the handbook and complete freebsd but I can t figure
> > it out. I still think that everything is a bit confusing because i am not
> > very good at computers and i am sure that I miss something fundamental.
> > Hope that somebody can direct me to what i am missing.
> > Many thanks Gaf
>
> I really don't know much about sound, but since there are no replies as
> of yet: in my experience, once the pcm module finds a device then things
> seem to work.  In what ways have you verified that sound is not in fact
> working?  Are you using devfs?  If not, are the sound devices created:
> dsp, etc....
>
> Nathan
Hi.
Sorry but you go to fast. I am very new to FreeBSD
I have now installed a soundcard from a friend and it works SB live.
pcm1@pci0:10:0: class=0x040100 card=0x80261102 chip=0x00021102 rev=0x07
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10K1 Audio Chipset (SB Live!)'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio
Before this I could not play audio cd:s
But I still need to configure my own card/chips.
Thank you for answering!!
Gaf