Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:20:05 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd make to gnu make conversion, anyone??

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 02:12:14PM -0500, David Holland wrote:
>  > This is the cleanest solution.  Still, if you want alternatives, I
>  > haven't tried this, but foreach may work here, as a generalization of
>  > for:
>  >
>  > define do-lang
>  > $(lang).mv.cat: $(.CURDIR)/nls/$(lang)/mv.msg
>  > 	gencat -new $(.TARGET) $(.ALLSRC)
>  > endef
>  > $(foreach lang,$(LANGS),$(do-lang))
>
> eww.
>
> I didn't know this would work.

	As written it doesn't.  I carefully tried it in a test
	case late last night.  But it may after I've played
	around with it; tweaked it.

> I wish someone would add support for bsd make syntax to gmake.

	What? and make life simple?

> (Before you tell me to put my code where my mouth is, I looked into
> this at one point and concluded it would take me longer to figure out
> how gmake's parser worked than to write a whole new make. So I
> didn't. Why doesn't it use yacc?)

	I've never looked at the guts, but one of our hackers did;
	added some features.  Not adding the BSD syntax, obviously.

>  > What's wrong with using sh like God intended?
>
> Two reasons; one that issuing complex shell commands makes make -n
> output less useful (for an extreme case of this, try make -n install
> in gnu binutils), and the other that when you do loops in the shell
> they don't always terminate on error like you (usually) want.
>
> For install this may not be that significant, but when you're doing
> recursion into subdirectories it sucketh. Hard.

	Hm.  When I've figured it out, I'll share.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix