Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 22:22:02 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, stefan@promo.de (Stefan Bethke), luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> > Huh?  You're claiming that PnP is the answer to all my problems, and the
> > fact of the matter is that none of the hardware that has these problems
> > have a PnP bios, so it solves nothing.
> >
> > My 560 doesn't have a PnP BIOS, and neither does Warnar's Libretto, nor
> > do any of the ThinkPad's that I have access to, nor the NEC's, nor do
> > the Hitachis.
>
> Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  Do you actually know that the systems
> in question don't have PnP BIOS functionality?

I know that some of them pre-date the PnP specification.

> > So, your PnP solution doesn't even begin to solve the problem I'm
> > having.
>
> Ok.  But it solves a lot of other peoples' problems.  The fact that it
> might not be the magic bullet _you're_ after doesn't alter the fact
> that it's a huge improvement over the current situation.

But, the solution should be generic enough to solve the existing
problems, so we don't have to break compatability *again* when a
solution is found to fix other problems.

> > You're spreading misinformation by stating that the PnP BIOS is the
> > panacea to all of the resource problems, when in fact it only solves a
> > minority of the problems that people are seeing, and in fact we can't
> > even talk to the PnP BIOS so it's not even a workable solution yet.
>
> It's nice to see that a few obscure laptop systems are a "majority"

As you are well aware, laptop support is more than 'obscure', and is
IMHO one of the largest growing market segments of all hardware sold.
Unfortunately, FreeBSD's support of them *sucks*.

Nate