Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      fbsd bsd <fbsd411@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel error in 4.11 release

Hey *, having a bit of a problem with disklabel.  A bit of background.

I'm building a lab with Olive boxes in it (http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Olive), which are basically i386 machines running JunOS.  Please note that this whole procedure is entirely unsupported by Juniper and I would never *ever* recommend anyone run production traffic on an Olive box.  At any rate, it requires a base install of FBSD 4.11, which you then do a pkg_add of their software over.

The problem I'm having is that the package add fails every time.  I personally have no experience with disklabel so it took me a bit to track down, but it seems like the raw device is not allowing anything to edit the first sectors.  Keep in mind that an Olive install effectively turns your BSD box into a Juniper box, so the boot procedure will be different, which is why I'm leaning toward this.  Also, this is the output of disklabel querying the kernel, then the device.

olive1# disklabel ad4
# /dev/ad4:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 9726
sectors/unit: 156250000
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 156250000        0    unused        0     0        # (Cyl.    0 - 9726*)
olive1#
olive1#
olive1#
olive1#
olive1#
olive1#
olive1# disklabel -r ad4
disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
olive1#

Attempts to use disklabel -e to edit the device label end in:
:q
disklabel: Operation not supported by device
re-edit the label? [y]: n
olive1#

Finally, here is the failure of the pkg_add:
olive1# pkg_add jinstall-7.2R4.2-domestic-signed.tgz
Verified SHA1 checksum of jinstall-7.2R4.2-domestic.tgz
Adding jinstall...
sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.re.model'
disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

WARNING:     This package will load JUNOS 7.2R4.2 software.
WARNING:     It will save JUNOS configuration files, and SSH keys
WARNING:     (if configured), but erase all other files and information
WARNING:     stored on this machine.  It will attempt to preserve dumps
WARNING:     and log files, but this can not be guaranteed.  This is the
WARNING:     pre-installation stage and all the software is loaded when
WARNING:     you reboot the system.

Saving the config files ...
Installing the bootstrap installer ...
disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

WARNING: Failed while trying to install bootstrap loaders

Deleting bootstrap installer ...
disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

WARNING: This installation attempt will be aborted.
WARNING: If you wish to force the installation despite these warnings
WARNING: you may use the 'force' option on the command line.
pkg_add: install script returned error status
pkg_add: install script returned error status
olive1#

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Be a PS3 game guru.