Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:07:44 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The evils of Makefile-embedded perl scripts vs patches

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> [Was Re: Re: cvs commit: ports/games/freeciv ...]
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:31:00 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with it is that the Makefile isn't a place that folks
> > expect to find patches.  People expect to find patches in the files
> > directory, names patch-*.  Properly stored patches are also easier to
> > submit back to the vendor.
>
> Also, embedded perl scripts tend not to error out on failure to find a
> match.  This means it's far too easy for the perl script to become
> stale.
>
> This was a perfect example.  The perl script did absolutely _nothing_
> useful any more.  A patch file would have failed to apply, which would
> help the maintainer keep things tidy.

This is only the one side of the coin. In some cases perl onliner is
invaluable to help greatly reduce maintenance costs. Take GNOME as an
perfect example: it consists of two dozens core components and about
100-150 applications, most of which need the same tweakage to make them
working on FreeBSD. Wihout onliners we would have to maintain several
hundreds of functionally equivalent patches, which is PITA of course.
Instead we added three identical lines into each makefile, and voila - it
works!

-Maxim