Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:58:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Ken Lareau <klareau@squonk.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Creative CD-ROM on FreeBSD 2.1

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Ken Lareau wrote:

> I have made several unsuccessful attempts to load FreeBSD 2.1 onto my system,
> due to the fact that it seems that the Creative CD-ROM drive I have may not
> be supported.  According to the info only the 2x drives (562/563) are cur-
> rently supposrt, and the drive I have is a 4x drive, though I'm uncertain of
> the model number.
>
> I would like to know if I'm wasting my time attempting to make this drive
> work, or whether I'm just not setting something correctly.  Any help/advice
> you could give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Ken Lareau
> klareau@squonk.net

I currently use a Creative 4x CD420E CDROM (IDE) on my 2.1.5R system with a
reasonable degree of success.  (I also used it successfully with 2.1R)
My system has the CD configured as the second (slave) device on the primary
IDE controller.  I don't have access to the machine right now but if you have
a look at the LINT file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf you will see what is needed
in the kernel config file to make it work.

I have had absolutely no problems with this as a data drive.  The
problems I have had have all been related to audio applications.  All of
the X-windows based audio CD player applications I have tried fail to
recognise the drive has a disk in it.  The text-based CD player works
*most* of the time but often forgets that the CD is there and i have to
quit the program and restart it to fix it.  Mostly I just play audio CDs
by pressing the play button on the front of the drive (something that
seems to be absent from most drives).

Cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Infrastructure Services         ! phone : (03) 6220 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (03) 6220 7898
University of Tasmania.         ! int'l : (+61 3)